FAQs about Vital Records

The California State Legislature has enacted laws to protect the citizens of California from identity theft. These laws prohibit our office from displaying Birth/Death/Marriage Certificate copies online.

If you are unable to come in person, the fastest method of requesting a record is to make on online request.

Extended family members such as aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces, and nephews are unable to obtain authorized copies of a certificate.

Amendments to birth and death certificates are handled by the California Department of Public Health. Their website provides information about correcting or amending vital records.