An application for an authorized certified copy of a birth record is available online. The fee is $32. Mail your application and fees to San Joaquin County Recorder, 44 North San Joaquin Street, Second Floor Suite 260, Stockton, CA 95202.
Newborn certificates are available approximately 4-6 weeks after the birth date. Call our office at (209) 468-8075 to verify that the record is available prior to your visit.
State law requires this office to issue two different types of certified copies to requesters: authorized and informational. Both types are certified copies of the original document are on file with our office.
Effective January 1, 2010, only specific individuals can receive an authorized certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage record. Those unable to meet the criteria for an authorized certified copy may receive an informational copy with the words “INFORMATIONAL. NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY” imprinted across the face of the copy. An authorized copy of a birth record is required to obtain a driver’s license, passport, social security card, and other services related to an individual’s identity.
An authorized copy establishes the identity of the registrant (child named on the certificate). Persons requesting an authorized copy must sign a statement, under penalty of perjury, that they are an “authorized person” as defined by Section 103526(c) of the Health and Safety Code:
- The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code.
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate.
An informational copy is invalid for use of identity purposes. The certificate bears an inscription across the face of the document, which states “INFORMATIONAL. NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY.” Informational copies are available to all requesters.
How to Order Copies
- Visit our office at 44 N. San Joaquin Street, Second Floor, Ste 260, Stockton, CA 95202.
- You will be asked to complete an application. To obtain authorized copies, you must present a valid government-issued photo ID. You may also complete the application online on our self-service portal prior to coming in.
- Pay fees and allow 20 minutes from receipt of completed application and payment to receive your certificate(s).
- Complete and print the application form.
- If you are ordering one or more authorized copies, complete page 2 of the application. Have your sworn statement notarized by a Notary Public.
- Mail your application, including the notarized sworn statement (if applicable), and payment to:
San Joaquin County Recorder
44 North San Joaquin Street
Second Floor Suite 260
Stockton, CA 95202
- Allow 5-7 business days from receipt of the application and payment to receive your certificate(s).
- Place your order here. An additional processing fee applies to all online orders.
The following information is required to request certified copies online:
- Person’s full name as it appears on the birth certificate
- City and state in which the person was born
- Date of birth
- Mother’s maiden name
- Father’s name
- Reason for requesting the birth certificate
- Requestor’s full name, address, and phone number
- Requestor’s driver’s license
- Requestor’s relationship to the certificate holder
- Allow 5-7 business days from online order submittal and payment for fulfillment of “regular mail” orders and 2 business days for fulfillment of "expedited" orders. There is an additional charge of $19 for expedited delivery service.