Restrictive Covenant Modification

February 14, 2022

Effective January 1, 2022

State law authorizes a person who holds an ownership interest of record in property that is the subject of a racially or otherwise unlawfully restrictive covenant to record a Restrictive Covenant Modification document to have the illegal language stricken.  Government Code §12956.2

Getting Your CC&Rs

Typically, you receive a copy of your property's Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (CC&Rs) from the title company when you purchase your home. If you recently purchased a home and did not receive a copy of your CC&Rs, contact your title company for assistance. 

You can also obtain a copy of your CC&Rs by visiting our office or by sending a request by mail.  Our address is 44 N. San Joaquin Street, Ste. 260, Stockton, Ca. 95202.  If you have questions or need further assistance, call our office at (209) 468-3939. 

How To Proceed

If your CC&Rs contain racially or otherwise unlawfully restrictive covenants, our office will work with you to prepare and record a Restrictive Covenant Modification. For assistance, call (209) 468-3939.   We will need the information listed below to assist you with your request.

  • Your first and last name (with correct spelling)
  • Your phone number
  • Your property address and subdivision name
  • The year you purchased the property
  • If available, the recording book and page or document number to the CC&R document that contains the unlawfully restrictive covenant(s)




Press Contacts

Office of the Recorder-County Clerk

(209) 468-3939

44 North San Joaquin Street, Stockton, California United States