North County Recycling Center and Sanitary Landfill is owned and operated by San Joaquin County, and opened for business on November 1, 1991. Encompassing 320 acres, this site receives an average of 541 tons of waste daily with a permitted quantity of 1,200 tons. During the year 2014, North County received 167,654 tons of waste.
North County was opened as a replacement for the Harney Lane Landfill. North County was designed to exceed or comply with all state and federal regulations for a lined sanitary landfill.
When opened in 1991, the landfill was the first in the state of California to have a permitted recycling center located on site. The recycling center allows the County to process and divert from disposal a broad range of materials. The recycling center averages over 1,400 tons of materials diverted monthly. This diversion helps extend the expected life of the site and help keep the County in compliance with state mandates for recycling.
The closure date for this facility is expected in 2046.
San Joaquin County's other facilities include the Lovelace Materials Recovery Facility and Transfer Station, Foothill Sanitary Landfill and the San Joaquin County Household Hazardous Waste Consolidation Facility.
- Agricultural waste
- Cabover campers (remove all thermostats and appliances)
- Camper Shells
- Camper trailers less than 25 feet in length (remove thermostats and appliances, dismantle the camper trailer into small sections, and bring a Junk Slip from DMV).
- Commercial and household waste
- Construction/demolition waste
- Tires (mounted or unmounted)
- White goods such as refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioning units
- Burned waste
- Cannery waste
- Large Dead animals
- Five-gallon (or larger) drums
- Hazardous or infectious waste
- Large loads of soil or gravel
- Liquid waste
- Mobile homes
- RVs; camper trailers that are NOT dismantled into small sections
- Septic tank waste
- Toxic materials
Tarping Requirements: All loads must be properly covered or tarped so that flying debris is avoided. Loads not properly covered or tarped will be charged a DOUBLE disposal fee.
San Joaquin Sanitary Landfills and Recycling Facilities - Information and Rates Brochure
Vertederos Sanitarios Del Condado De San Joaquín E Instalaciones De Reciclaje - Información Y Tarifas