Business Hazardous Waste Disposal

Does your business generate hazardous waste? If your business generates small amounts of hazardous waste, you may have a problem. It can be expensive and difficult to dispose of chemicals such as paint, motor oil, solvents, and acids. It is illegal to throw these materials into the garbage or wash them down drains. These materials are categorized as hazardous waste and they must handled as such. Local Enforcement Agencies require documentation that these materials have been managed properly. Many businesses have waited for an affordable solution to come along. The Cities and County of San Joaquin are offering just such a solution.

Most businesses that generate less than 27 gallons of hazardous waste a month qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG). The most common businesses in this group are:

  • Painters
  • Printers
  • Artists
  • Builders
  • Labs
  • Property Managers
  • Vehicle Repair and Body Shops
  • Garden and Landscape Contractors
  • Pest Control Companies

NO explosives, radioactive materials, medical waste, sewage, solar panels, controlled substances, refrigerating units, gas powered tools, air conditioning units, tires, large appliances, and large compressed gas cylinders are accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility.

How Much Hazardous Material Can my Business Generate per Month and Still Qualify?

  • Less than 220 pounds of most hazardous chemicals. (Approximately 27 gallons of liquid.)
  • Less than 2.2 pounds of certain original, unused products, e.g., acutely hazardous wastes. (Approximately one quart of liquid.)
  • Less than 110 pounds of perchloroethylene per month. (Approximately 13 gallons of liquid.)

Appointments to deliver hazardous materials for proper disposal and recycling are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Businesses should call (800) 207-8222 to schedule an appointment to drop off waste at the San Joaquin County Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at 7850 R.A. Bridgeford Road by the Stockton Airport. Businesses will be asked for the types and amounts of waste that are generated in order to determine if the business qualifies for the program. If the business qualifies, an appointment will be scheduled.

When you call to register your business as a CESQG, the following information will be required:

  • Name, address, and phone number of your company.
  • How much waste you generate per month, per year.
  • Chemical name or trade name of the waste.
  • How much waste was generated and any possible contaminants.
  • Size, type, and number of containers that the waste will be brought in.
  • Percentage of chemical constituents in the waste.
  • Your EPA ID number.

Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are often your best source of information regarding the potentially hazardous products you use. MSDSs are available from product suppliers.

What will it cost?
Your costs will depend on your waste types. Disposal costs may be considerably lower than what you pay now. Please call (800) 207-8222 for the current price list by material. Pickup services are available for an additional charge.

It is your responsibility to know the local, state, and federal regulations regarding the storage, disposal, and transportation of hazardous waste. For more information contact the San Joaquin County office of Environmental health at 468-3420 or visit

May I store hazardous materials?
A CESGQ with less than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) of hazardous waste may store the waste indefinitely. Once you accumulate 100 kg., you may store it up to 90 days. After 90 days, you must send your waste to a licensed recycling or disposal facility (California Health and Safety Code, Section 25123.3).

May I transport hazardous materials?
California law allows self-haul of up to 27 gallons or 220 pounds of your own hazardous waste at one time. An exception is made for used oil; you may haul up to 55 gallons of used oil at one time. Bring wastes in non-leaking, preferably original containers. Transport all wastes away from the passenger area of your vehicle.

EPA ID Numbers
State law requires hazardous waste generators to have an EPA Identification Number. For more information about EPA ID number, click on the links or call CalEPA Department of Toxic Substances Control at 1-800-618-6942. You do not need an EPA ID Number to use the CESQG Collection Program for the first time, but you do need one to make a second appointment to use the drop-off or pick-up services.

Solid Waste Administrative Office
1810 East Hazelton Avenue
Stockton, CA 95205
Phone: (209) 468-3066
Fax: (209) 468-3078
Hours: 8:00am to 5:00pm
Email us with questions at: