Incarcerated Parent

Incarcerated Noncustodial Parent

If the noncustodial parent (NCP) is served with a Summons and Complaint (S&C) and Proposed Judgment while in jail, they have only 30 days from the date the papers are served to respond to the court. It is important to read the paperwork carefully. The noncustodial parent (NCP) may request Genetic Test if he believes he is not the father of the child listed in the S&C. If the case qualifies for genetic testing, this can usually be done while the noncustodial parent (NCP) is in custody. The noncustodial parent (NCP) should contact the DCSS office by telephone or in writing as soon as he receives the papers.

If the noncustodial parent (NCP) wants assistance, most courts in California have an Office of the Family Law Facilitator to provide child support information and to help parties obtain and complete court forms. Family Law Facilitator services are free and are not connected to the Child Support Offices. The incarcerated noncustodial parent (NCP) can also ask their criminal attorney or public defender for assistance.