In San Joaquin County, The Department of Child Support Services hearings are held at the Stockton Family Law Courthouse located at:
180 E Weber Ave
Stockton CA 95202
We understand that appearing in court may be confusing and intimidating. We hope the following information will help prepare you for your court date.
- Dress appropriately. Choose clothing for court as if you were dressing for a job interview. No shorts, hats, tank tops, flip flops, bare midriffs or strapless apparel are allowed in the courtroom.
- Arrange for child care prior to arriving for your court date. Children are not allowed in the courtroom or in Suite 503. San Joaquin Superior Court does have a childrens waiting room. You can find additional information by visiting this link Childrens Waiting Room – Superior Court of CA – County of San Joaquin (sjcourts.org). Last minute request for a change in court date due to lack of child care cannot generally be accommodated.
- It is important that you attend your scheduled hearing. Arrive at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled court hearing. When you arrive make sure to check in with the Clerk in Suite 503. If you are not present when your case is called, your case may be resolved without your input or your hearing could be cancelled.
- Attorneys from the local child support agency do not represent either party. No one except you or your attorney may represent you in court.
- Carefully review and complete all required paperwork prior to arriving to the court date. In any trial or hearing involving financial issues, each party must produce the following documents:
- The three most recent pay records showing year-to-date wages, salaries, overtime, commissions, bonuses and withholdings.
- Records showing rents, trust income, workers' compensation benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, disability
benefits, social security benefits.
- The most recent W-2, 1099, and K1 forms
- A copy of the most recent signed and filed state and federal income tax returns with schedules.
- If self-employed, a current (most recent twelve months) profit and loss statement and balance sheet is needed.
Be prepared to stay a Minimum of 4 hours in the court house the day of your court hearing. Most days the court is very busy with many hearings. If your case does not resolve in Suite 503, you will have the opportunity to speak to the Child Support Commissioner. This is your chance to explain your situation. Do not direct comments to the other party or interrupt anyone while others are speaking. Respect the Court.