Clerk of the Board

Public Records Requests

In accordance with the California Public Records Act (“Act”), Government Code §6250 et. seq., San Joaquin County (County) provides access to public records, except those exempt from disclosure by law. Under the Act, the public is entitled to copies of identifiable, non-exempt public records (Government Code §6253). The Act requires the County to provide access to, or copies of, records responsive to your request that are in its possession, subject to certain exceptions, pursuant to Government Code §6254, et seq. The Act does not require the County to provide information, answer questions, or create records that do not exist.

How Do I Request Vital Records - Birth, Marriage, or Death Certificates?

The Office of the Recorder-County Clerk maintains vital records for births, deaths, and marriages in San Joaquin County from 1851 to present. Information on the request process can be found on the San Joaquin County website. Click on the following link for the Recorder-County Clerk department,

How Do I Request Divorce Records?

If you were divorced in San Joaquin County, you may be able to obtain a copy of your records from The Superior Court of California, County of San Joaquin and information on the request process can be found on their website,

How Do I Request Public Records?

You can find records related to Board of Supervisor meetings such as Agendas, Minutes, and complete Agenda packets online at Use the search box found in the top right corner to search for records including agreements, resolutions, budget appropriations, etc.

To research our San Joaquin County Municipal Code, visit our Municode Library.

For all other public records in the care of the Board of Supervisors and Clerk of the Board, please review the following information.

Although a written request is not required, a clear description of the records you seek including dates, subjects, and titles helps County staff respond timely to your request. You are not required to provide your name, address or reason for the request; however, providing current contact information (e.g. telephone number, email or mailing address) allows County staff to reach you if there is a question regarding your request.

You may request public records using one of the following methods:

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please email or call 209-468-2350.