License & Passport Release

License Suspension

The State License Suspension and Revocation Program, also known as the State Licensing Match System (SLMS), is used to collect payments towards support orders. When a noncustodial parent (NCP) does not pay support as ordered, the California Department of Child Support Services is required to report the NCP to California licensing boards. The State of California will deny permanent state-issued driver, business and professional licenses (for example: cosmetologist, contractor, doctor, teacher, attorney) to the NCP who owe arrears and apply for a license or a renewal.

When there is a license match, the licensing boards immediately send the NCP a Notice of Intent to Suspend License. The licensing boards issue a temporary license valid for 150 days (if all other licensing requirements are met). The noncustodial parent has those 150 days to contact our office to make arrangements to pay the arrears. If no arrangements are made, the noncustodial parent's application for issuance or renewal is denied.

Arrangements to pay the arrears can be made at our local office. If the noncustodial parent (NCP) is unable to reach an agreement with us, can request a court hearing. The Family Law Facilitator can assist with that request.

Passport Denial

Child support agencies are required to report noncustodial parent's (NCP) who owe arrears, to the federal government. If the NCP owes more than $2,500 in arrears, they are entered into the Passport Denial Program (PDP). The U.S. State Department will not issue or renew a passport to a person who has been placed in the PDP. The noncustodial parents (NCP) who are placed in the PDP can only be removed from the program if:

  • The noncustodial parent was submitted in error
  • Arrears are paid in full
  • A member of the noncustodial parent's immediate family has a life threatening illness and lives outside the United States (subject to proof)
  • A member of the noncustodial parent's immediate family died or is close to death outside the United States (subject to proof)
  • The noncustodial parent filed a petition for bankruptcy protection (under limited circumstances)
  • A foreign government requests extradition

The noncustodial parent (NCP) should contact our office to make arrangements to pay arrears in full or if any of the above conditions apply.

For more information please contact 1 (866) 901-3212