Home   |   Search   |   Departments            
The Official Site of San Joaquin County Government Mental Health Services

Behavioral Health Services
Mental Health Services
Main Page

skip repetetive navigational links to main content  BEHAVIORAL HEALTH DIRECTOR
    Francis Hutchins Interim Director
    1212 N. California St.
    Stockton CA 95202
    (209) 468-8750 Phone
    (209) 468-2399 Fax


    Words of Comfort
    Contact us
    Department of Psychiatry
    Behavioral Health Board
    Job Openings
    Suggestions and Grievances
    Consumer Rights
    Consumer Support Warm-Line
    Other Resources
    Notice of Privacy Practices
    Online Forms
    Resources/Document Center

    Older Adult
    Children and Youth
    Crisis Intervention
    Transcultural Clinic
    Prevention Services

    Psychiatric Health Facility
    Patient Rights

  Yahoo! map of our Office


Click here to get adobe acrobat Click here to test a URL for ADA compliance.


Mental Health Services

black divider

Consumer Rights

Lady sitting at a table looking over papersDuring their recovery period, clients sometimes lose confidence in themselves because they have been evaluated or treated for mental or emotional problems.

It is hard for them to remember that they are respected members of the community and have the same rights and privileges they have always had.

Do you need help with a problem?

You or your representative can ask for help if at any time you feel that your rights are being denied. If you are unable to resolve problems with your service provider, you may file a complaint or grievance. For details about how to file a complaint, see Suggestions & Complaints or call one of the helpers

Basic Consumer Rights

As a client, you have the right to timely access to appropriate, culturally sensitive mental health services. Additional, you have the right to:

  • Be treated with respect.
  • Request services at times and places convenient to you, and in your preferred language.
  • Know about your mental condition, available treatment options and costs, medications and their benefits or side effects, and counseling options.
  • To have medication and prescriptions explained by a doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
  • To refuse to take back your consent for therapy, medication or other forms of treatment at any time.
  • Get answers to your service related questions.
  • Be part of the decisions about your treatment.
  • Request a change of therapist or second opinion.
  • Request access to your records.
  • Expect that your records are kept confidential and that information will not be released without your permission unless specifically allowed by law.
  • Make a complaint or grievance if you are not satisfied with your services or a staff person.
  • Choose another person to act for you in solving grievances.

If you have Med-Cal, you may file for a State Fair Hearing at any time before, during or after a disagreement without using county Consumer Problem Resolution Procedures.


Peer Advocates
Consumer who assist other consumers in the satisfactory resolution of service related complaints. Peer Advocates are available to assist adults and older adults.
(209) 468-887

Parent Advocates
Parents who assist caregivers of children and adolescents who need assistance with service related issues.
(209) 468-2241

Consumer Advocates, Inpatient
Staff members who provide support and assistance to inpatients.
(209) 468-8662

Family Advocate
Gayle (209)468-3755

Patient's Rights Advocate
A representative with the responsibility of assuring the rights of all clients.
Jonah Salerno (209) 468-8676
Fax: (209) 468-2399

Consumer Advisory Council (CAC)
The Consumer Advisory Council is a volunteer group of consumers, family members, mental health staff and other advocates who assist with complaint resolution.
Jennie Montoya, Chairperson
(209) 468-8486

Administrative Services
(209) 468-8750

Culture and Language

San Joaquin County is well known for its ethnic and cultural diversity. It is our intention to serve all ethnic and cultural groups in a manner responsive to their cultural and language needs. If you feel that we are not living up to these guidelines, please contact us through our Administrative Services number, (209) 468-8750.

Back to Top of Page


Back to top | Contact Us | Site Index | Get Adobe Reader |
Conditions of Use | Privacy Policy
Copyright  2010 San Joaquin County