Skip to main content
Skip Navigation Links
Environmental Health Department
Frequently Asked Questions

  • Environmental health refers to the well-being of the public with respect to the things that affect our daily lives through our surroundings. Water quality, air quality, foodstuffs, housing, pollution, hazardous wastes, toxic wastes, smoking, recreational areas, etc.

  • The Environmental Health Department inspects restaurants, mobile food units, employee housing, hotels and motels, public water systems, dairies, wells, underground storage tanks, and enforces environmental health regulations associated with many other business and construction activities. The EHD works with Emergency Response teams in the event of a hazardous waste incident. As the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA), the EHD works with other agencies to coordinate hazardous materials program inspection and permitting activities.

  • The Environmental Health Department is located at 1868 E. Hazelton Ave. in Stockton. Our main phone number is (209) 468-3420.

  • The EHD conducts annual inspections of all restaurants in the County. Restaurants are required, by regulation, to allow you to see their most recent inspection report. Some restaurants even post their reports for their customers to see. 

  • Check our website’s home page for current environmental health news and warnings. There’s also a section on previous articles.

  • Our website’s home page has links for you to register a complaint. Once you provide us with the information, we will check out the complaint and let you know what we find out.

  • In order to issue a boring permit, we need certain papers to be completed, signed and returned to us for review and approval.