San Joaquin County
District Attorney's Office
OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY 222 E. Weber Ave., Room 202, Stockton, CA
P. O. Box 990, Stockton, CA 95201
T (209) 468-2400 | F (209) 465-0371
TORI VERBER SALAZAR District Attorney Scott A. Fichtner Assistant District Attorney Kristine M. Reed Assistant District Attorney James Bojko Chief Investigator
News from the Office of District Attorney Tori Verber Salazar
For Immediate Release
November 22, 2019
CONTACT: Tori Verber-Salazar, District Attorney
T: (209) 468-2400 | E:

Three subjects sentenced in 2017 murder and attempted murder at Stockton park

Stockton - Today, District Attorney Tori Verber Salazar announces three subjects have been sentenced for their roles in the shooting death and attempted murder of two men at a Stockton park in 2017.

Ryan Indiana Curry, 33, pled guilty to the murder of Dathan Pryor and admitted an enhancement for using a firearm in the course of the murder. He further pled guilty to the attempted murder of Tyrone Johnson. He was sentenced to 35 years to life in state prison.

Ashia Taylor, 26, pled guilty to being an accessory after the fact to a felony, and was sentenced to 12 months in the county jail with five (5) years of formal probation.

Tacara Hart, 36, pled guilty to being an accessory after the fact to a felony, as well as a misdemeanor false report of a crime. She was sentenced to time-served in the county jail, ordered to complete 120 hours of community service, and placed on five (5) years of formal probation.

"The District Attorney's Office is committed to putting an end to gun violence," said District Attorney Tori Verber Salazar. "We will prosecute those who use firearms in the commission of murder and those who aid them to the full extent of the law."

On July 3, 2017, Dathan Pryor and Ryan Curry met with Tyrone Johnson at S. F. Fong Long Park on Thistle Way in Stockton. Curry, who was an acquaintance of (V) Pryor, asked to borrow the victim's vehicle. (V) Pryor and (V) Johnson waited in Johnson's car for Curry to return. Approximately 10 minutes later, Curry arrived back at the park, followed closely by Taylor in another vehicle. Both parked close to (V) Johnson's car. Taylor exited and approached (V) Johnson's window. At the same time, Curry exited the borrowed van wearing blue medical gloves, and drew a gun. He quickly fired nine (9) times into (V) Johnson's car, hitting both Pryor and Johnson. Johnson drove to the area of Holman Rd. and March Ln., where Stockton Police Department officers were flagged down. A good Samaritan assisted officers with first aid for Pryor, but he succumbed to his wounds at the hospital. Johnson suffered gunshot wounds to his legs, but survived.

Tacara Hart lived with Curry and was in a relationship with him at the time of the murder. She was also the registered owner of a .40 caliber firearm, the same caliber that was used to shoot the victims. Hart made misleading statements about the firearm to investigators, and later reported it missing, omitting the circumstances.

Through statements, video footage, recordings and cellular phone records, investigators worked tirelessly from the time of Pryor's death for several months, culminating in the arrest of all individuals. The scope of the criminal activity would not have been revealed but for the work of Detectives Lauren Dewing and Andrew Donovan of the Stockton Police Department.

In order to fully investigate and prosecute cases, the District Attorney needs witnesses to come forward. Because witnesses spoke to authorities, Mr. Pryor's family has a measure of closure and peace. Deputy District Attorney Caitlin Casey, who brought this prosecution to a successful resolution, would like to thank our Victim/Witness advocates who will always fully support those who come forward.