Birth / Death / Marriage Certificate Copies
The Recorder’s Office also serves as Registrar of Vital Statistics. This means that every birth, marriage, and death record dating back to 1851 is “of record” in the San Joaquin County Recorder’s Office. A certified copy of a license or certificate that has already been issued may be obtained for a statutory charge.
Effective January 1, 2010 only specific individuals can receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY of a birth, death, or marriage record. Those not meeting the criteria for an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY may receive an INFORMATIONAL COPY with the words INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY imprinted across the face of the copy. An AUTHORIZED copy of a birth record is required to obtain a driver’s license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individual’s identity. An AUTHORIZED copy of a death record may be required to obtain death benefits.
Individuals permitted to receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY:
- The registrant or parent or legal guardian of the registrant
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant estate
- Any funeral director that orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5) inclusive of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code
To receive an AUTHORIZED CERTIFIED COPY when ordering in person, an authorized individual must complete an approved application that includes a sworn statement under penalty of perjury. When ordering by mail, a notarized Certificate of Identity and a completed application form signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor are required.
Current prices and application forms in PDF format are as follows:
Birth Certificate: $23.00 Click here for the application (En Español)
Death Certificate: $16.00 Click here for the application (En Español)
Marriage Certificate: $14.00
If your marriage license was Confidential or you need further information, please call 209-468-3939.
Click here for the application
You may mail the application and fees to:
San Joaquin County Recorder
P.O. Box 1968
Stockton, CA 95201
San Joaquin County does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached through its website, http://www.vitalchek.com/Campaign?site=2&clickid=613334408044806146, An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
San Joaquin County will only accept applications for events that occurred in San Joaquin County by mail (see above), in person, or through VitalChek. To order a birth, death or marriage certificate for an event that did not occur in San Joaquin County, you may do so through VitalChek or the county in which the event occurred.